Mozilla has scheduled Firefox 8 release on November 8, but the Firefox 8 Final installer files are now available on Mozilla’s FTP servers. Mozilla team uploads newer versions on its server in advance, and the interested users can download and update to the Firefox 8 final before its official release.
New Features in Firefox 8
Firefox team has integrated many performance improvements and stability fixes in the newer version. Highlights of the Firefox 8 are:
- Third party bundled add-ons are now disabled by default, One time prompt to manage previously installed add-ons
- Twitter search has been added as pre-installed search plug-in
- HTML5 context menus
- Added a preference to load tabs on demand to improve the start-up time
- Cross-Origin Resource Sharing support for cross-domain textures in WebGL, Improved WebSocket support
- Shortcut filters for about:config preferences. For example, "about:config?filter=sessionstore" will show only session storage related preferences.
- Many new features and changes for the developers. See this draft for details.
Once the newer version is released officially, Firefox users will be prompted to update their browser. Alternatively, you can download the installer file directly. With Firefox 8 released as stable version, Firefox 9 Beta, Firefox 10 Aurora and Firefox 11 Nightly will be available soon.