Exciting news for Opera users waiting for Wahoo: Opera Software has released beta version of Opera 12, which means that the final version will be around soon. The desktop team at Opera Software had announced Opera 12 (codenamed Wahoo) in August last year, and we have been covering all latest development around Wahoo since then.
Here are the some features of the upcoming major release:
- Unite and Widget Disabled: As we reported, Opera has decided to shut down Unite and Widgets. Starting with the Opera 12, these two awesome features will be disabled for the new users. Read more here.
- Themes: Users can now enjoy themes in their browser. Several themes are already available on Opera’s add-on gallery.
- 64-bit version for Windows and Mac platforms: This feature will boost up performance of Opera on 64-bit operating systems. Read our previous post here.
- Support for Do Not Track: Opera has implemented DNT in Wahoo, which is disabled by default. Users can enable it manually to opt-out of the online behavioral advertising / tracking. Refer this article for setting up DNT in Opera 12.
- CSS3 Animations and Transitions, HTML5 Drag-and-Drop, CORS, Opt-in hardware acceleration and WebGL, faster SSL etc.
- Support for new RTL scripts: Arabic, Farsi, Urdu and Hebrew
- getUserMedia API: This API brings native camera support in the browser. Web apps can take advantage of this to interact with the user’s webcam.
- New opera:cpu page to monitor resource usage. This feature is very useful for the developers to optimize their sites and applications. On the other hand, it also helps users to explore performance issues.
- Out-of-process plug-in architecture: Opera team has implemented OOPP on Windows and Mac platforms, which improves stability of the browser by separating the plug-in processes. On Windows, a separate background process, Opera Internet Browser Plugin Wrapper (opera_plugin_wrapper.exe), will handle this.
This beta build can be downloaded from Opera Next portal.